UPDATE! Montana's Most Threatened Properties
Each year, we update everyone on threats to outstanding historic places. Last February we listed 16 threatened historic properties and three property types in need of intervention. Just one year later, we are happy to report strong progress on a number of them, and much joy that all are still standing.
- Placer School, Winston – Foundation stones reinforced by MPA in September 2015.
- Havre Masonic Temple & Lodge, Havre – Rescued by Havre preservationists, redevelopment underway; stabilization ongoing.
- Broadway Apartments, Lewistown – Rescued by MPA, exterior clean up and safety fencing complete; $50,000 grant secured;construction planning underway.
- Central School & 7th Ave. Gym, Helena – Helena School Board included both in a bond issue to improve schools throughout the community, but the bond initiative was voted down.
- Story Mill Complex, Bozeman – Grounds around the mill under redevelopment by the Trust for Public Land. Mill buildings’ future still uncertain.
- Montana’s Rural Schoolhouses – With grant funds from the MT History Foundation five rural schools were stabilized and MPA volunteers/intern documented schoolhouses in eight counties. A grant from the MT Land and Title Foundation will continue project through 2016.
- Montana’s Historic Barns – Twin Bridges’ famous three-story Doncaster round barn was remodeled for use an event space; the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service will begin rehabilitation of the Porter Barn in Flathead County in 2016.
GET HELP WITH A THREATENED PLACE!
Tell us about a threatened property in your area. Fill out the form below and submit or call us now at 406-457-2822.