UPDATE! Montana's Most Threatened Properties
Each year, we update everyone on threats to outstanding historic places. Last February we listed 16 threatened historic properties and three property types in need of intervention. Just one year later, we are happy to report strong progress on a number of them, and much joy that all are still standing.
- Placer School, Winston – Repointing of masonry foundation and stone walls nearly complete. Replica wood windows under construction in Fall 2017.
- Havre Masonic Temple & Lodge, Havre – Rescued by Havre preservationists, redevelopment underway; stabilization ongoing.
- Broadway Apartments, Lewistown – Rescued by MPA, exterior clean up, roof and drainage repair, and stabilization of the rear collapsed wall complete! The building is for sale and ready for redevelopment.
- Central School & 7th Ave. Gym, Helena – Demolished August 2017
- Missoula Mercantile -- Demolished, June 2017
- Story Mill Complex, Bozeman – Grounds around the mill under redevelopment by the Trust for Public Land. Mill buildings’ future still uncertain.
- Montana’s Rural Schoolhouses – With grant funds from the MT History Foundation many rural schools have been stabilized. In addition, MPA volunteers/interns are documenting schoolhouses across Montana with grant funding from MT History Foundation, MT Cultural & Aesthetic Trust, and the MT Land Title Foundation.
- Montana’s Historic Barns – Twin Bridges’ famous three-story Doncaster round barn was remodeled for use an event space; the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service will begin rehabilitation of the Porter Barn in Flathead County in 2016.
GET HELP WITH A THREATENED PLACE!
Tell us about a threatened property in your area. Fill out the form below and submit or call us now at 406-457-2822.